[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Sun Jun 14 15:28:26 PDT 2020

Hi,

The software part is important and it can be built right now, in a
portable way.  But the hardware part is as much important.

The computers at school are not used permanently, just from time to
time, it is not game changer, it is decoration. Now try to think about
what will be need for a computerized device (it is likely not a
computer) to be used in each lesson in the class, at home during the
home work. To get an idea, try to observe your kids doing their
homework, what physical tools do they use? How do they use it? Try to
extrapolate what will be needed to let your kids work with fluency in a
computerized form.

Likely your kids as mine use workbooks, textbooks, pens, rulers,
dictionary, teacher document, audio file from cd. That is the reality of
schools and a useful computerized device will have it as the minimum, as
dynamic media, and it should be as easy to use as the physical form.

When I observe kids at my school I fell ashamed how big their bag is.
Each year the parents rightly complain about the weight: plenty of
blenders (in the class I manage, student can replace it with one file
sorter), plenty of books and once a week the sport equipment). A rightly
designed computerized workbook with the appropriate software will
replace 95% of this weight. But we don't want to really think about it.
At best, kid may receive a tablet or notebook which is not designed for
their use, and I have been in situation in 2001 were kids will have to
carry both their bags and their notebook (and its hard cover)[1].

So yes, kids deserve a dedicated hardware designed for them to fit what
they need and not with what we can practically do. They will received it
during the primary school and it will be their own.

It must be open hardware based, repairable and could be assembled
anywhere at best in local factory. For me the best from will be as a
large workbook which unfold with two screens, and come with one stylus
because this is what kids use and need. I discussed this with my kids
and they told me about Samsung and Micrsoft dual screen devices.
Dynabook should be larger.

Why two screens? If you observe kids, often they work with two documents
simultaneously: a workbook and a textbook.

Regarding the software, so far I can only imagine about a multiple layer
graphics to mix the contents in nature and form. Should the main layer
be text based (not handwritten)?

Okay it's late, it took me one hour to wrote this email :-)

Hilaire

PS: The way I write is not subtle, it is hard for me to write in
English. But I don't mean to be harsh, I am quite the opposite.

[1] Kids going to school look like travelers...
http://www.cndp.fr/ecolenumerique/uploads/pics/landes_un_eleve_un_ordi_01.jpg

--
GNU Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu