[Cuis-dev] [ChangeSet] source code intervals + changes on refactorings

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:58:17 PDT 2020

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 3:44 AM, Nicolas Cellier via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Can you represent empty ranges?
>
> For example,
> (5,5) could be empty (marking a position before or after 5th character -
> your choice)
> (5,6) a one character range (from left to right)
> (5,4) too (from right to left).

Good question. Kind of looks like a pathological case, do you really need
that? Is it for the cursor position?

> Le lun. 11 mai 2020 à 01:22, Phil B via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>
> a écrit :
>
>> Luciano,
>>
>> Since the vast majority of ranges I'd be working with are
>> programmatically created, #.. wouldn't really help me (i.e. Range #from:to:
>> would be fine and consistent with Interval in meaning) but I'm not opposed
>> to it if it would help you.  However, I would not be in favor of
>> overloading #, since that seems confusing given other implementors of #,.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to overload #, and my suggestion about #.. mainly was
about allowing it as a binary operator that might be nice to have available
for whatever people decide to use it. #from:to: looks nice enough, tho.