[Cuis-dev] [ChangeSet] Reinstall updated packages when installing updates

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Aug 7 12:38:32 PDT 2021

On 8/7/2021 12:34 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> I only took a brief glance and immediately found some
> points to nitpick :~]
>
> It would be nicer if we first compute the outdated packages
> and if there are any ask the user
> - to abort the WHOLE action
> - install the updated packages
> - keep going
>
> Currently upgrades are installed and than we might
> tell the poor schnook: "Ah by the way, we can upgrade
> your packages, but than you will loose your changes
> or we can leave you with an inconsistent image"

And then the user can decide to exit without save, and have their image
in their consistent state. And they can try to do what we believe is the
best option: to reload their code in a new, fresh, fully updated image.
After all, the user is a Smalltalk developer who knows (or is learning)
how to deal with such a system, right?

BTW, the last mail in this thread is almost one year old!!!!!