[Cuis-dev] VectorEnginePlugin: parts in motion

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Aug 9 14:19:59 PDT 2021

On 2021-08-09 09:53, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:

> While I appreciate the dream of a Smalltalk NOS environment, I don't
> think most people who embark on it really think through the reality of
> the limitations the resulting environment will end up with (both in
> terms of device support and resulting image capabilities) or the amount
> of work required to get there and keep it running on modern hardware.

Note that there is a huge, and confusing, range of literature on "bare
metal OS" design.

I found a fairly clean and small open-source microkernel with good
explanatory documentation.

http://phoenix-rtos.com/documentation/README.md

It only runs on a few embedded systems (arm 32 and risc-v 64), but the
code base is compact and looks clean.

When I find the explanations confusing, I find it helpful to read the
code, and vise versa.

FYI,
-KenD