[Cuis-dev] Spotlight-type functionality for discoverability (was: [IMPROV] Ups I did it again: TimeProfileBrowser in Compiler)

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Sat Jun 26 01:46:48 PDT 2021

Hi Ralf,

1st) There already is some spotter-like search facility:
https://github.com/npapagna/cuis-finder
https://github.com/mmontone/Cuis-PopupFinder

2nd) Me discovering this class was mere coincidence,
I searched for something completely different.

3rd) The current tools are not able to show all the available
packages, there should be some facility to find them.
(There is one, tightly interwoven with the CodePackage and the
Feature class ..., Haver has a file finder class that does the job,
but (currently) now UI).

4th) The I expected Juan to answer:
"It's OK as it is, I just forgot to move that TimeProfileClass into a
package of its own.". If it were an add-on-package,
I would have found it much earlier -- which is kind of funny.

In a nutshell:
This spotter-like-tools are like dictionaries: If you
(roughly) know the word are searching for, they work well,
but if you do not have the slightest idea that such a thing
may even exist, it will neither occur to you that can search for it,
nor would you know what to search for.

So IHMO what we need is an integrated launcher/spotter tool (Req 1).

It also should have a button for the n (n=10) last tools
started, because there are some indications --
I can provide hints upon request - that different people use Cuis
in different ways. A launcher should adapt to the user's behavior
(Req 2).
It should also include the "find me a transcript"
like functionality, that is partly implemented in the window menu.
I say "partly", because this functionality is missing for the
package browser and the test runner. Each test runner and each package
browser shows -- disregarding the selection -- the same information,
one can easily work with just one instance of them.
(Req 3)
An (editable) list with useful expressions should also be part of it.
(Req 4)
It should be implemented as a package, that is filed upon request like
the Themes package, because it will be rather big and of not much use
if one wants to use Cuis to implement shrink-wrapped applications;
it's a development tool. (Req 5).
Last but not least, it should have the aforementioned package search
capability (Req 6).
Nice to have, would be the ability to remember the last n evaluated
expressions (Req 7).

That's what I would like to have for Haver (http://haver.klix.ch).
There is no Haver-specific requirement, so it might be part of
Cuis as well.

These are my 0.55€.

Best Regards,

Gerald