[Cuis-dev] Proposal of change to the inspectors

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Nov 30 10:54:50 PST 2021

On 11/30/2021 3:46 PM, Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev wrote:

> I thought about this several time. I am a big fan of sorting since it
> reduces
> the user time to find stuff (obvious ;)).
>
> On the same line, is there a reason why Categories are not sorted by
> default in the Browser ?
> I mean the Browser leftmost pane entries.
>
> The first thing i do when i run Cuis is setting the alphabetical
> order, systematically.
>
> bye
> Nicola
>

> On 11/30/21 15:55, Hernan Wilkinson via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Inspectors, right now, show the variables in the defined order but I
>> think it would help a lot to show them in alphabetical order... what
>> do you think? Is that a good idea?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hernan.

I think that the order of instance variables is part of the design of a
class. It is like method indentation. It doesn't affect behavior, but it
affects the way we read stuff. At least in code I write, ivar order is
never random. Same for Categories.

I think that a menu option 'Show in alphabetical order' in the inspector
variables list is a reasonable alternative.