[Cuis-dev] The Cuis Book for Cuis 6

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Wed Feb 16 11:02:26 PST 2022

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 04:59:17PM +0100, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> And it is even more fun, and rewarding, to see a reader (and reviewer)
> of the book to hack the game to improve it!

Thank you!

> I think reader should just modify the game as they wish. If they do so,
> we can say the book is a success ;-) The game is an excuse to learn
> Cuis-Smalltalk, nothing more.

You're right. If the game was everything everyone wanted
there wouldn't be an itch for anyone to change it. The "What
if ..." feeling is important. It's what got me going anyway.

>> There's an excellent book https://natureofcode.com/book/
>> that explains the artistry behind making games feel natural,
>> by being inspired rather than slavishly following the laws
>> of physics.
>
> Nice reference, thanks! Have you read the book in its entirety ?

Yes, I have read all of it, but I have only used one of the
many techniques: the Perlin Noise, in Forth of all
languages. It's on my idea list to combine the visually
aiding comic book effects of the Self GUI with the organic
feeling tutored in this book, and Cuis seems just the right
tool to do it. I'm a guy who usually turn off visual
guidance because I find it distracting. So the idea is
mostly an excuse for playing with the examples in the book,
and find out if visual guidance can be made more natural and
less disruptive. If I ever get the time...

/Tommy