[Cuis-dev] Event systems question

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 09:08:23 PST 2022

El 26/2/22 a las 08:28, Douglas Brebner via Cuis-dev escribió:
> I was recently reminded that Cuis meant to replace the #changed:update:
> event system with #when:send:to and I was wondering why Vassily Bykov's
> Announcements weren't used instead.
>
> Does anyone know the reasoning?

Hi Douglas,

I suppose you are aware of the AXAnnouncements package available from
the Package Downloader tool in Cuis. I wanted to mention it just in
case. That's a port I've made and I'm using for some of my projects. Now
I'm considering adding an Erudite book to document it, if I can find the
original Announcements docs.

As for why it is not used in Cuis as main event system, all I can do is
speculate. Announcements can be slightly more "heavyweight" than the
current event system (classes for events), and I think you require an
#announcer method, unless you implement the announcements machinery
right into Object (I guess that would be the idea).

I don't know more.

Cheers,

Mariano