[Cuis-dev] Remote Debugging

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 19:20:06 PST 2022

El 27/2/22 a las 09:48, Philip Bernhart via Cuis-dev escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I don't see the point of why we need a window session in
> a remote machine. That doesn't scale.
>
> A distributed system is a different beast than a desktop
> system running on my own computer. For remote distributed
> systems you want to be able to administrate multiple
> workers, multiple nodes, do remote debugging of one
> or multiple nodes.
>
> The only place for a GUI is the node which overlooks
> these nodes and pulls the data together for display.

Common Lisp has SWANK (https://www.cliki.net/SWANK), a socket protocol
for accessing Lisp images, that all compilers implement. That's pretty
cool, as you get remote debugging for free, as that same protocol is
used by IDEs for accessing the underlying image too. Remote connection
works by setting up an SSH tunnel, and that's it.

I imagine something similar could be possible in Smalltalk too. There's
TelePharo for Pharo for example. Could be interesting to have something
like that for Cuis, but I'm unsure how much implementation effort it
would take.

Cheers,

Mariano