[Cuis-dev] Emacs & Smalltalk

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Sun Jan 16 23:05:22 PST 2022

There was a thing that rebound Smalltalk keyboard shortcuts that I installed in Squeak when I first stumbled on the great crashed spacecraft that is Smalltalk, but it had not been maintained and didn’t really work well in Squeak at that point.

I’ve never managed to wrap my head around keybindings in Squeak. Seems the current system is an artifact of a previous moment in time. Emacs keybindings are *i think* what Emacs users are wanting; if you want a Lisp though, I think Stephane Rollandin may have what you want. Love that guy. Musician.

It seems like a configurable (in object-terms) keyboard is desirable. We have to figure out how to do it without tanking performance for people who won’t use it though. Most people who use Cuis will be okay with the traditional keyboard bindings.

—C