[Cuis-dev] Possible normalization of code files to use ANSI assignment. Re: New handling of assignment and return arrows

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Oct 21 07:40:41 PDT 2022

On 10/21/2022 11:35 AM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I just pushed some updates to the mechanics of how we show arrows for
> assignment and return.
>
> Instead of hijacking the ASCII for _ and ^ I used Shout (the syntax
> highlight engine) to replace them by an arbitrary glyph. This gets
> changed back when contents are saved or evaluated. So, files don't
> change at all, at least not today. This step also let me clean up some
> code. If in the future we choose to use Unicode for them, even in
> files (something I'm still unsure about pros and cons), part of the
> work is already done.
>
> If you want to play with these, select 'Use Unicode in Text Editors'
> and edit #arrowStringForAssignment and #arrowStringForReturn at will.
>
> Thanks,

A possible next step is to always save files using the ANSI assignment
syntax: ':=', and make the conversion a preference. This would mean that
you'll no longer be able to chose between colon-equal and left arrow
when writing your code. Files would always be ANSI, and the preference
would control just how you see all of them.

Pros include better interoperability.
Cons include a bit less control over your own code.

I think it is a good change, but I'll follow community consensus. So,
opinions?