[Cuis-dev] MVC et al

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Wed Aug 9 14:05:14 PDT 2023

Le 08/08/2023 à 22:06, Stephen Travis Pope a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> [Flame on]
>
> It’s very sad that there’s no MVC implementation for Squeak or Cuis.

Should not be hard for you to cook something

> The “wrapper” implementation in VisualWorks is worth studying and copying.

Our community is still small, I don't know of any person or group
interested in developing this topic.

As a side note, I will be very cautious in copying the VW design, which
is proprietary.

> It’s been stable for over 30 years and has survived numerous attempts
> to replace it.
> It’s well-suited for back-ends other than BitBLT (e.g., structured
> graphics APIs).
> It supports scalable drag’n’drop GUI construction tools and easily
> extensible widgets and controls.
> Wrapper is a more fine-grained class library for MVC, and includes
> framework classes such as ApplicationModel, PluggableAdaptor and
> ValueHolder to do what MVP seeks to add.

Here is an additional reading I should have mentioned in the first place
about MVC and M https://www.martinfowler.com/eaaDev/uiArchs.html

> MVP is not MVC and cannot be said to "fix MVC flaws”; the MVP papers
> (based on the Taligent C++ version) refer to a 1980 version of MVC
> with no mention of the later VisualWorks frameworks.
> Taligent, CommonPoint and Dolphin are all dead, VisualWorks is alive
> and well.
> The “wrapper” implementation in VisualWorks is worth studying and copying.
Why not implementing your own in Cuis?