[Cuis-dev] An instance of Morph couldn't be moved by the halo's handle

Szabolcs Komáromi cuis at mnqpr.com
Tue Aug 15 13:04:54 PDT 2023

Hi,

I instantiated a new instance of the class Morph and opened in the word and tried to move it with the move morphic halo handle. The mophic halo moves alongside the HandMorph but the Morph instance doesn't. The pick up handle doesn't do anything visible. The message openInHand doesn't work, at least seemingly.

> Subclass PlacedMorph defines a local coordinate system (see its class comment). Morphs NOT in the PlacedMorph hierarchy live in the space defined by their owner. Their local coordinate system is the same as the owner's. They ignore #morphPosition:.

Is this behavior a side effect of the fact that Morph ignores #morphPosition:? If it is, maybe some animation, visual feedback would be nice to keep Morphic's directness principle intact.
> The user quickly realizes that everything on the screen is
> a morph that can be touched and manipulated.
> Compound morphs can be disassembled and individual
> morphs can be inspected, browsed, and changed. Since
> all these actions begin by pointing directly at the morph
> in question, we sometimes say that directness is another
> morphic design principle. Concreteness and directness
> create a strong sense of confidence and empowerment;
> users quickly gain the ability to reason about morphs the
> same way they do about physical objects.
>
> An Introduction to Morphic: The Squeak User Interface Framework (John Maloney)

Regards,
Szabolcs