[Cuis-dev] Morphic's design

rabbit rabbit at callistohouse.org
Sat Aug 26 06:24:22 PDT 2023

Thank you, Martin. It has been several days since I was running Squeak, which is where I do all my development, accessing the Cryptography repo on SqueakSource.

Allow me to explain the ways in which I am thinking about this multi-threaded model. I AM looking to do shared state. However, I will provide handled eventual referendces, such that only 1 thread would be able to write. All writes by the 1 owner Kitty (my name to the each threaded event-loop).

All other local Kitties will have a handled Neighbor reference. A Neighbor reference would allow immediate reads, but any writes would get sent to the owner Kitty, and perhaps flip the Neighbor-local reference to a Promise to queue reads until the write is done.

In order to accomplish this, we need to know which methods result in writes. It's not just a setter method, but any action methods that call a setter or assign the the ivar. I plan to generate proxy methods on the Spectre class for the RemoteRef to a particular class. Type info. The ClassType I imagine would include whether the method is read-only or not. For methods that are read-only, generate Spectre methods that do immediate shared-memory access to the state.

For methods which are not red-only, generate method that forwards the send to the Near in the owner Kitty and potentially flip the Neighbor to a NearPromise, inside the generated #doSomethingNonReadOnly) for send queuing until the promise of the non read-only send resolves (#whenResolved:) to send these queued methods and resolve the ref promise. So 2 promises: 1 for the send and 1 for the ref.

> eRef doSomethingNonReadOnly
> whenResolved: [:r | eRef resolve: ???].
>
> "hmmm...how to preserve the original eRef for resolving the temp promise of it? I use #becomeForward: so the original eRef is gone. We need a special NearPromise that somehow preserves the original eRef, even under #becomeForward:, as the eRef is not necessarily the return of #doSomethingNonReadOnly. Huh?"

<
#ClassType
!! <ClassName
!! ASN1UTF8String
!! Exportable {true|false}>>
!! <IVarRecords
!! #SequenceOfIVarRecord
!! <IVarRecord
!! IVarName
!! ClassTypeName
!! ASN1Type>>
!! <MethodRecords
!! #SequenceOfMethodRecord
!! <#MethodRecord
!! MethodName
!! ReturnClassTypeName
!! ReadOnly
!! RequiresTransaction>

We can use a parser to try and detect writes. Also, as these shared objects would be #beReadOnlyObject, except when the owner Kitty is running a write method, then any ModificationException would update the Read-Only mark of that method in its ClassType. Or something.

To summarize to you, Martin, in a salient, I am looking to establish safe shared-memory access. I definitely would like to see a new Morphic that was multi-threaded (Eventual). Each Kitty could run on a separate native thread.

Best,
• rabbit ❤️‍🔥🐰

--
••• rabbit ❤️‍🔥🐰