[Cuis-dev] Resuming on BlockCannotReturn exception

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Dec 1 08:18:20 PST 2023

Hi Jaromir,

Again, thanks for your continued support for Cuis! This is VERY much
appreciated.

(inline)

On 12/1/2023 10:52 AM, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan, all,
>
> Question: Was there a particular reason for this definition:
> ```
> suspendedContext
>     "Answer the context the receiver has suspended.
>     I am Ready to Run or Suspended. Answer the context I was running
> when last preempted.
>
>     Otherwise, (Running or Terminated) answer nil."
>
>     ^self isTerminated ifFalse: [ suspendedContext ]
> ```
> instead of using the simple original:
> ```
> suspendedContext
>     "Answer the context the receiver has suspended."
>
>     ^suspendedContext
> ```

Well, that method is from 2013. It was modified in
1696-ProcessEnh-JuanVuletich-2013May10-09h59m-jmv.1.cs.st. I just guess
it made sense to me at the time. No existing tests are made to fail, so
I'm ok with this change. I'd still tell the reason in the method
comment, though.

> The reason I'm asking is it messes up with debugging some edge case
> scenarios I've been working on:
>
> With Eliot we've fixed VM crashes when running e.g.
>
>     [[^ 1] on: BlockCannotReturn do: [:ex | ex resume] ] fork
>
> However, even after fixing the crashes the debugging of this scenario
> remained broken. I've identified the root cause in an incorrect
> simulation of returns in #return:from:. The fix is enclosed, but the
> debugging in Cuis still fails in some cases - e.g. if you debug the
> following example and just keep stepping over until a nonsensical
> error appears.
>
>     [[self halt. ^ 1] on: BlockCannotReturn do: [:ex | ex resume] ] fork
>
> And here I've tracked the root cause to your version of
> #suspendedContext. It answers nil for a terminated process but a
> process may be terminated yet a sender's context chain still hanging
> there; by nilling the suspended context you lose that information and
> the debugging fails.
>
> I've included the "original" simple version of #suspendedContext in
> the enclosed changeset but feel free to make any changes, of course.
>
> Now debugging of the example works fine for any of stepping over,
> through or into.

In the comment of the test you provided, the argument to on:do: is a
symbol. This is not supported in Cuis. The idiom you used in your email,
passing a block, is ok.

I see that you did your testing and fix on a Cuis system updated to
#5670. Latest published Cuis update is #6092. You're missing almost a
year of updates. And, for instance, in #6091, Facundo modified
#runUntilErrorOrReturnFrom:

Can you please review and retest your changes on a fully updated Cuis?

Thanks!!!