[Cuis-dev] [Ann] First sketch of Cuis 6.1 release - Please REVIEW and TEST!

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Sun Dec 24 10:03:02 PST 2023

Hi Juan & al,

I am just catching up.

This is always a good idea to ease the start-up experience to new
Cuis-Smalltalk users. I am sure it will have important impact. I tested
on Ubuntu 23.10, it  works smoothly.

Regarding all-in-one application, I have been using it a lot in the past
with Dr. Geo, then at some point stopped using it. I stopped for
technical reasons, but then I realized there were also end user reasons
to stop using it.

Indeed, it adds complexity that does not serve the end user. For
example, a Linux user will see VM, scripts for the Windows user. Will
this Linux user uses this same folder structure to execute Cuis on a
Windows machine? No, because he's using Linux. Then it does not scale
very well. Will you add VM for Linux on Arm, on RiscV? Then we can argue
the same with image, why both 64bits and 32bits, the end user will only
use one variant of it.

The truth about all-in-one application is it makes the life easier for
the developers and people deploying end-user applications, like me with
DrGeo. You just need to upload one package and that's it. In a such
momentum, we should realize it is not a good sign, we are not serving
the end-user first, but ourself.

What will be make life easier for end user is an archive to download
containing the VM and the image it needs. That's it.

I will use your CuisExperiment as a base to automate the building of
Cuis-Smalltalk distributions with various combination of VM binary and
image (32|64 bits). You will have MacIntel, MacARM, Windows, LinuxIntel,
LinuxArm, LinuxRiscV associated with appropriate image and VM. Does not
Github offer service to automate packages built? I have just migrated
DrGeo repository to Github, I will take a look to that
(https://github.com/hilaire/drgeo).

Then you will have a set up that could scale more easily to any
additional needs like embedded system. And you will be free to arrange
the distribution in a way that fit the host (Mac is a bit special)

I feel it could also add visibility to Cuis-Smalltalk to have these
different distributions, it will talk more specifically to the end user
and will have a wow effect. Compare all-in-one and LinuxIntel64 names.
The later one is crystal clear, not the former one.

Regarding the current folder structure, I will try to hide the
complexity a bit more. I will have only two top level folders. To
illustrate, this is what a Linux user sees when entering the DrGeo app
folder:

DrGeo
├── ChangeLog
├── DrGeo.sh
├── License.txt
├── README
├── Resources
├── transcript.txt
└── VM

Even the VM should not be visible to be honest. It should be moved in
the Resources folder.

Nevertheless, all-in-one distribution will be already an important
progress and of course my opinion can be completely discarded without harm.

Have a nice day.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo