[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Unicode Input in Editor

Boris Shingarov shingarov at labware.com
Sat Jul 29 00:30:22 PDT 2023

Hi Gerald,

> in text editors. For reasons I do not understand
> the usual Ctrl-u-based X11 hack does not work with Cuis.

Perhaps I am just being too naïve and completely missing the problem
being discussed here, but why do we need to program this ourselves in
Cuis instead of using what the OS already does?  For sure this code
handling \latex<space> makes sense if this were SqueakNOS, but you did
just say X11.  And on X11, what I use is XCompose.  No need for extra
complexity, and the added benefit of perfect homogeneity across Cuis /
bash / vim / browsers / email / etc.

In case anyone might be interested in my actual XCompose config, I just
uploaded it to GitHub: https://github.com/shingarov/my-xcompose-config

(And of course that bash script there, it should be easy to write one
to generate a Karabiner equivalent for OSX from the same tables, so the
experience would be identical on the Mac; I am just too lazy to do it
myself because I don't use my Mac for "real" work).

So again: am I missing the reason to have all this extra code in the
base image?

Best,
Boris