[Cuis-dev] [Ann] Bootstrap and CuisDynamicLibraries

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Oct 26 11:32:29 PDT 2023

Hi Folks,

This year I've been busy, with the help of Felipe Zak, on implementing
two new features for Cuis.

1) Bootstrap. A package that lets us bootstrap new Cuis images,
including only what is desired. Smallest so far is about 150Kb, and
includes Stdout, Collections, Magnitudes, etc.

2) CuisDynamicLibraries. These are files that include compiled Cuis
code. They are somewhat similar to .so and .dll. They are much (MUCH!)
faster to load than .pck.st, and don't require a Compiler to be present.

These together allow for an image of less than 200kb that can load any
needed additional code via .dcl files.

Felipe and I will be giving talks on these new features at the FAST
Smalltalks 2023 conference at Universidad de Quilmes. Documentation is
on its way, but if you are brave enough, comments and examples included
in code could suffice.