[Cuis-dev] [Ann] Bootstrap and CuisDynamicLibraries

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Sun Oct 29 13:41:32 PDT 2023

Hi Giorgio,

On 10/29/2023 1:18 PM, giorgio ferraris via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi, Juan,
> have you done something close to old VisualSmalltalk sll? Very nice!

I couldn't find much documentation about SLLs. It is hard to know
exactly what SLLs supported and how they used to work. I believe SLL
example, they could handle class reshaping at all.

DynamicCuisLibraries are fully implemented in Smalltalk. One advanced
feature is that if the image that builds a DCL has a different shape for
some class as the image that loads it, the load procedure computes the
union of the instance variables known by each, and adjust any ivar
access in CompiledMethods so everyting works as expected. I believe that
neither SLLs nor Parcels could do this.

Please take a look at the included tests.