[Cuis-dev] TrueType font import problems

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Thu Sep 14 13:15:35 PDT 2023

Hi Juan,

I hope that update 6030 is not meant as a fix for this issue.

One possible solution is to mark classes as deprecated
and warn the user/programmer when his/her code
persists an instance of that deprecated class.
Then remove the class after some grace period.

Best Regards,

Gerald

Reference:
6030-DataStream-tweak-JuanVuletich-2023Sep14-11h14m-jmv.001.cs.st

On 9/14/23 3:16 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> [...]
>> StyledTextEditor. Apologies. Any code that was aware of
>> TextFontFamilyAndSize now needs to be aware of TextFontFamily and
>> TextFontSize. Changes are relatively straightforward.
>>
>> 2)- Non-ASCII characters in source code files. Until about one year
>> ago, Cuis didn't care much about Unicode. Files were saved in
>> ISO-8859-15 encoding. This means ASCII [0..127] and a slight
>> modification of Latin-1 [160..255], and some hand picked Math symbols
>> in [128..159]. Around one year ago I added full support for Unicode
>> in Cuis. This also meant converting all files to UTF-8 encoding,
>> where non-ASCII characters use more than one byte. There are very few
>> places where this makes a difference, and you found a few in those
>> tests. I'm pretty sure I was careful enough to do those conversions
>> correctly, including StyledTextEditor. So, I think that whatever is
>> at https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/StyledTextEditor is correct.
>> Maybe you'd need to update your fork. In any case, a review for
>> correctness is more than welcome.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> On 9/14/2023 6:38 AM, Bernhard Pieber via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>> Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the fix. It works as expected.
>>>
>>> I found the fonts improvement broke loading StyledTextEditor,
>>> though, because it still references TextFontFamilyAndSize which was
>>> removed. I guess this might also affect other packages?
>>>
>>> I prepared a branch which fixes it without breaking additional tests:
>>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor/tree/fix-STE
>>>
>>> I wanted to create a PR but then saw that there are some changes I
>>> did not do on purpose. You can see an example here in line 10:
>>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor/commit/0b58898b75167454db54298db0803cd2c75c4156
>>>

>>> This is how it is shown in SourceTree:
>>>   !String methodsFor: '*rtfExporting' stamp: 'jmv 9/5/2016 20:27:00'!
>>>   iso8859s15ToRTFEncoding
>>>       "Convert the given string to RTF escaped Unicode from the
>>> internal encoding: ISO Latin 9 (ISO 8859-15)"
>>>       "
>>> -    self assert: ('A¢§' iso8859s15ToRTFEncoding) hex = '
>>> 'A\u162?\u8364?''
>>> +    self assert: ('A¬¢‚Ǩ' iso8859s15ToRTFEncoding) hex = '
>>> 'A\u162?\u8364?''
>>>       "
>>>
>>> In the terminal it looks still a bit different:
>>> git show 0b58898 -- RTFExporting.pck.st
>>>
>>>   !String methodsFor: '*rtfExporting' stamp: 'jmv 9/5/2016 20:27:00'!
>>>   iso8859s15ToRTFEncoding
>>>          "Convert the given string to RTF escaped Unicode from the
>>> internal encoding: ISO Latin 9 (ISO 8859-15)"
>>>          "
>>> -       self assert: ('A<A2><A4>' iso8859s15ToRTFEncoding) hex = '
>>> 'A\u162?\u8364?''
>>> +       self assert: ('A¢€' iso8859s15ToRTFEncoding) hex = '
>>> 'A\u162?\u8364?''
>>>
>>> I could reproduce the behaviour like this:
>>> 1. Start with the latest image and install updates.
>>> 2. Checkout the master branch of StyledTextEditor.
>>> 3. Temporaryly recreate class TextFontFamilyAndSize.
>>> 4. Feature require: 'StyledText'.
>>> 5. Open Installed Packages.
>>> 6. Click on RTFExporting.