[Cuis-dev] OMeta working again for Cuis 6.3

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Sun Apr 14 06:37:34 PDT 2024

Hi Luciano, Michal,

Michal, I look forward to know more about your project. Sounds like
useful, interesting, and fun!

On 4/14/2024 12:14 AM, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Michal,
> That’s very interesting. I have a very concrete application for this.
> I need to compute with tuples, matrices and polinomials over integers
> modulo a small modulus (say, it fits in a register, or half register).
> These tuples, polynomials and matrices are stored in arrays (for
> example WordArrays, 32 bits per entry). The most critical operation is
> matrix multiplication, since a lot of the rest can reduce to matrix
> multiplication. I’ve been experimenting with a small external library
> written in C that converts to floating point, does matrix
> multiplication with a BLAS library, and converts back to modular
> integers, and i call it via FFI. Of course I’d prefer to do all in
> Cuis… so i’m looking forward for your project!
>
> Regards,
> Luciano

Still, Luciano, I'd do it differently. I'd write a VM plugin using  gcc
SIMD extensions if available. If coded properly, it should give similar
performance to BLAS for big matrices, and much better for small ones
(because calling plugin primitives is way faster than calling FFI).

If it is only about best performance for big matrices, I'd write it in
OpenCL, and maybe use the GPU (if it outperforms CPU).