[Cuis-dev] Enhancement proposal: Fail test when no assertion ran

Andres Valloud ten at smallinteger.com
Mon Apr 15 11:18:55 PDT 2024

There are actual examples of Error subclasses intended to rely on the
default handler.  For example, there used to be a Smalltalk system which
had an exception for failure to open a file due to not enough file
handles.  The default handler would then trigger finalization of files
that were already closed to release file handles, and then it would try
again.  That was the point.

By having on:do:, yes, you can have contextualized handlers, but when
you write on: Error do: [...] that context is lost and instead becomes
dogma.  What that code is saying is "I know much better than anyone else
because I know how *every conceivable error, even the ones I never saw*
should work here".  That's the God mode position, might as well throw in
global variables too.