[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] #copyFrom:count: for OrderedCollections

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Tue Feb 6 14:24:26 PST 2024

Hi Nicolas,

> I don't buy such a definition of polymorphism, because if it is that
> restrictive, then it does not exist at all.

ok. Which definition do you use?
Could you also elaborate why you see it that restrictive?

BTW, it is important to see that the definition I use is a relationship
between a set of objects and a set of messages. The set of messages does
not need to be the whole protocol.

> Beside, it seems that the polymorphism problem just moved:
>
>     (Dictionary newWithRoomForMoreThan: 10) at: 10 put: self.
>     (OrderedCollection newWithRoomForMoreThan: 10) at: 10 put: self.

Not really, OrderedCollection does not answer #newWithRoomForMoreThan:

> Ah, but we can create two different messages as well...
> Or maybe at:put: is false polymorphism?
> Or isn't it rather Dictionary and OrderedCollection that are not
> polymorphic?
>

>From my point of view, Dictionary and OrderedCollection are not completely
polymorphic, OrderedCollections does not answer #keys, #values,
#keysAndValuesDo:, etc.
As I see it, they are polymorphic regarding other sets of messages, but not
all the protocol.

> If I follow the same path:
>
>     (Array new: 10) add: 5.
>     (OrderedCollection new: 10) add: 5.
>
> #new: is not polymorphic because in one case it answers a collection
> that cannot grow, and in the other case it answers a collection that
> can grow...

Array and OrderedCollection are not polymorphic regarding the message
#add:, no matter how you instantiate those collections.

> OrderedCollection and Array are not polymorphic,

They are not "completely" polymorphic, but they are regarding certain
messages like #select:, #reject:, #detect:, #size, etc.

> they don't behave the
> same way, Interval neither, RunArray neither etc...
> It's not just a different implementation of the same thing. Otherwise,
> no need for so many subclasses.
>
> All is in the contract that you expect from #new:
> You are free to change the semantics of #new: but what makes such a
> major change really necessary?
> false polymorphism, really?

As I understand, polymorphism has two goals:
1) To be able to replace the receiver without altering the result of the
execution
2) To simplify vocabulary, to use the same message name for different
implementations that have the same semantics.
The first goal relates to the object, first set, the second to the message
names, second set, that is why it is a two-set relationship.

If you cannot replace an object with another one without altering the
execution, then those objects are not polymorphic.
If the name of the message is the same but its semantics is not, then you
can have trouble changing one object for another, therefore they are not
polymorphic.
Having the same message name with different semantics generates confusion,
so it is better to avoid it if possible.
I've seen many smalltalkers send the message #new: to an OrderedCollection
assuming that will do the same as with Array, it is a very common mistake.

But anyway, that is the definition I use and it is the best one I found
after many years of research and teaching, but I'm open to new ideas and
definitions.

Cheers!
Hernan.

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057