[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] #copyFrom:count: for OrderedCollections

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Wed Feb 7 05:40:25 PST 2024

The idea is to fix important bugs in the stable release. I think this one
is an important bug and should be fix in 6.2, in this case keeping
compatibility (that is, with a different solution to the one used in 6.3).

BTW, I was reading this excellent and timeless paper of N. Wirth from 1974,
"On the Design of Programming Languages", especially the section "Language
Design is Decision Making". If you have time, please read that section, I
think that it summarizes our spirit very well :-).
Here is the link:
https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~bchandra/courses/papers/Wirth_Design.pdf

Cheers!
Hernan.

On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 10:13 AM Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> On 2/6/24 9:01 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> > On 2/6/2024 2:23 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> >> Juan,
> >>
> >> consistency-wise, this all makes sense!
> >>
> >> In an implementation that is used for real work,
> >> you should not changes semantics so lightheartedly.
> >>
> >> If you really want to do this you should proceed it like this:
> >>
> >> For current Cuis 6.3 you should mark these methods,
> >> as "to be deprecated" (by some means yet to be invented).
> >>
> >> For Cuis 6.4 you could mark them as deprecated
> >> and write messages to the transcript or bother the user/programmer
> >> with a (Pre)-Debugger.
> >>
> >> For Cuis 6.5 or later you may enforce that semantics.
> >>
> >> Of course there still will be hue and cry,
> >> but people had their time to adapt and
> >> after a lot of complaining, event I would have found
> >> a way to live with it :)
> >>
> >> Now I am in the middle of an important project (money-wise)
> >> and I have to deal with that – ah, äm, well – shit!
> >>

> >> I hope you understand,
> >>
> >> Gerald
> >
> > These changes are being done in the Rolling Release. If you expect
> > stability, and compatibility issues only when you are ready to face
> > them, you'd use the Stable Release.
> >
> > See
> >
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/blob/master/Documentation/CuisReleaseProcess.md
> > vs.
> >
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2/blob/main/Documentation/CuisReleaseProcess.md
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> This document does not say anything about bug fixes.
> I presume this #copyFrom:count bug will stay in Cuis 6.2 until hell
> freezes over.
> Needless to say, that I don't like this either.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Gerald

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*