[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] #copyFrom:count: for OrderedCollections

Boris Shingarov shingarov at labware.com
Wed Feb 7 09:13:38 PST 2024

> "If Pl/1 was a fatal diseases, than Algol 68 is capital punishment!"

This: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.5555/251167.251168
To anyone who hasn't read it, I full-heartedly recommend to do so.
Summarised in one line: "Algol-68 is Algol-60 done by people with zero
idea of Algol, and therefore butchered beyond recognition."

Why I think this is relevant in this context?  Because

> Actually Smalltalk-80 used inheritance to conserve space
> and not to specify semantics. In fact – see classes Set and Dictionary –
> inheritance was and is used to inherit implementation and not semantics.
> If you are daring, you could say: "They did it all wrong!".

I am glad you wrote "Smalltalk-80" here!
Because there is Smalltalk and there is Smalltalk-80.
And I *am* daring to say the relation is similar to Algol 60 vs 68.

> (In Lisp terminology Smalltalk is a Lisp2, which produces some
> interesting problems; trust me, I already implemented such a thing,
> I can show you the code).

I would be excited to see it.  I can show you mine.