[Cuis-dev] Warning error when building image

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Sun Feb 11 10:57:22 PST 2024

Hi Hilaire,

On 2/11/2024 7:43 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> I am not sure about what you meant in your message. I understand now
> the issue, though.

Ok. I'll try again, going into more detail. I hope this will be of help.
This is what I did, and how I found what I found:

1) Startted the image you saved at Dropbox.
2) See several red Warning windows. On any one of them, I click on [Debug]
3) In the debugger I see that someone is doing `Warning signal: stuff`.
The sender doesn't appear in the debugger, because it is in a different
process.
4) I click on the [senders]  button, to see senders of #logStartupError.
3 senders appear, but the only possible one is #logStartupDebugAid:.
5) Clock [senders]  there, to find the senders of #logStartupDebugAid:.
There is only one. See what argument is send. Confirm that
#logStartupDebugAid: is indeed the method doing this.
6) Notice that #logStartupDebugAid: asks #logStartupDebugAids. See in
the implementor of #logStartupDebugAids that If there exists a global
named #LogStartupDebugAids, and it its value is true, this Warning gets
thrown.
7) Evaluate `Smalltalk logStartupDebugAids`. Answer is true. Do the same
in the official Cuis image. Answer is false.
8) Look for senders of the global name: #LogStartupDebugAids Find out
that DrGeoSystem class >> #install does `Smalltalk at:
#LogStartupDebugAids put: true.`
9) I understand that one solution is not to do that in DrGeoSystem
class. The other solution is to change #logStartupError: into something
like #logStartupNotice: that writes to Transcript but doesn't rise an
exception.

I guess sometimes I assume that everybody will go through similar steps
when debugging a problem. Obviously that's not true!

> Do you want me to implement the logStartWarning method and associated
> preference? Or is it already in the development version of Cuis?

Just check the attach. Addi it to the CoreUpdates folder. Be sure that
[r6.2]-6157-UseOfSizeForCopy-GeraldKlix-2024Feb01-21h27m-KLG.001.cs.st
is also there, and that your build script installs updates.

Please give back feefback. If this works as intended, I'll push it both
to 6.2Stable and 6.3Rolling repos.