[Cuis-dev] question regarding become: on self

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Feb 27 04:36:24 PST 2024

Hi Folks,

As Hernán pointed out, doing #become: sometimes is dangerous. For
instance, if you do `self become: xxx` in the middle of a method, like
in this case, the rest of the method will continue, but with 'self' now
being the new object. But the method on execution belongs to the old
class! Any possible instance variable access will result in undefined
behavior or a hard crash.

The system has no way to validate that the method in execution is
appropriate for the new instance. And the same would happen for any
method where the becomed object is the receiver in the call stack, as
soon execution will return there, and the same will happen.

There are two ways out of this:

1- #become: objects by 'remote control'. Ensure that the object to be
becomed is not in the call stack and have some other object handle this.

2- Take full responsibility for what you are doing, because you know
that no invalid ivar accesses will happen. Implement your own version of
#become:, maybe calling it #uncheckedBecome: or such.

BTW, David, please read the exception description again and try to make
sense of it. It it doesn't seem to make sense, please help us improve
the text to something easier to understand in your view.

Thanks,