[Cuis-dev] [RFC] Sunsetting v3 image format, merging Character and UnicodeCodePoint, New Directory Structure for Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Jan 30 07:47:10 PST 2024

Hi Folks,

Just removed the v3 image.

Soon, I'll start changing the folder structure to be more like
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2 . I know this is likely to
break your processes, and the ways you are used to. But there was no
negative feedback on the structure of
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2 , so I assume that this is
better for newcomers, and that experienced users will be able to adapt.

So, this is a good time to review
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2 and give feedback on it.

Thanks!

On 1/29/2024 5:27 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 7:58 PM, lewis--- via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> I have appreciated having the V3 image but this is only for personal
>> interest and occasional use in VM and plugin support, and I have no
>> real need for it. Keeping Cuis simple and clean is more important, so
>> the old V3 format can go now.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 2024-01-03 21:25, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> The subject says it all.
>>>
>>> I want to simplify some code in the image by unifying Character and
>>> UnicodeCodePoint. But this can not be done for the old v3 image
>>> format, as it can't handle immediate Characters and is therefore
>>> limited to 256 distict Characters. Additionally, OpenSmalltalk has
>>> shifted to Spur only quite some time ago, as Squeak and Pharo have
>>> also done.
>>>
>>> So, I'm planning on removing the v3 image from the
>>> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev repo soon. If
>>> anybody has some special need for v3 images, let's discuss them.
>>>
>>> On an unrelated topic, the new directory structure for
>>> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2 will also be used for
>>> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev. If your
>>> specific workflow depends on the current directory structure, you
>>> may need to adapt it. Please take a look at 6.2, and see how it
>>> could affect you.
>>>
>>> These changes allow either for simplification of code, or to improve
>>> the experience, especially for newcomers and casual users. I believe
>>> they are worth the possible nuisances.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Juan Vuletich
>>> cuis.st
>>> github.com/jvuletich
>>> researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
>>> independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
>>> patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich
>>> linkedin.com/in/juan-vuletich-75611b3