[Cuis-dev] On complexity and growing system Was: SqueakComptibilityPackage for 6.2

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Mar 5 07:23:24 PST 2024

Goals: simple to explain; simple to maintain; simple to find; simple to
use.

A possible convention.

In general we are keeping current, but at some point we do an update
which requires a newer base release or require a package which does
likewise.

This splits `Current` from (e.g.) `Stable6.2`.

At this point, we

  [1] create a `Stable6.2` (Stable<vers>) sibling package in Github, mark
the stable package maximum requirement
example:
   Cuis-Smalltalk-Tonel-Browser
   Cuis-Smalltalk-Tonel-Browser-Stable6.2

  [2] add a reference to this in a StablePackages.md page in the stable
repo (https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2) in such a way that a
simple Package Finder/Browser can scan the page, display the info and/or
autoload packages into a _user-local_ directory (perhaps
ImportedPackages).

The user-local ImportedPackages directory does not exist in the
Cuis-Smalltalk repo, only in the user's local clone.

So aside from the StablePackages.md list, no changes or intermixing with
official Cuis-Smalltalk repo.

Aside from a bit of tool support, `Feature require: <package>` just
works as usual.  Each stable repo has its own references to matching
maintained packages.  Seems explainable.

Other ideas?  I do favor simplicity. :)
-KenD