[Cuis-dev] [ANN] Cuis-Smalltalk-RoadTrip idle game + a question on implementing a ZoomPanMorph

Ian Jeffries mail at ianjeffries.net
Thu Mar 7 06:33:46 PST 2024

> Welcome to the Cuis community!

Glad to be here, what a cool project. I'm very fond of small things in
software, especially for fun (small in scope that is, not in the amount of
work since getting something small isn't easy).

I'll go ahead and respond about the things I've already done, and leave the
rest for a later message.

> But then I tried to understand what was going on with your code, and I
> found a bug in the Cuis image, Rectangle class >> #center:extent: This
> is the real reason for the jerking you see. I just pushed an update for
> that. Please pull & install. It will be much better.

Amazing! Thank you. I wasn't sure about posting before my car "game" even
had roads, now I'm glad I did.

> One last comment. You'd add ‘JSON’ as a prerequisite to your package, so
> it is loaded automatically if needed.

Done!

> My first thought was "you'd use a PluggableScrollPane". You can put a
> simpler morph, that knows nothing about panning and scaling in a
> ScrollPane, and play with the halo to scale it. Most likely
> PluggableScrollPane could use some tweaks (like handling the scaling,
> and the pan / zoom gestures), but it is not far from what you need.
> Separating RoadTrip from Zoom/Pan issues, by composing them instead of
> subclassing, is better IMO. Besides, in places like City>>drawOn: you're
> hiding cities out of bounds yourself, while PluggableScrollPane already
> clips for you. At least that what I'd do.

That does seem better. There's a wrinkle though in my case though: I don't
want to set `clipsSubmorphs` to true since I want to be able to use the
car's halo to move it off of the map. Having the car drive across the
screen to get back to the game has melted people's minds when I show them
Cuis. So directly using the strategy of `PluggableScrollPane` is out, since
my understanding is it works by a combination of moving the interior morph
around while clipping what part of it's shown with `clipsSubmorphs`. I'll
think about this some more.

More to follow once I've tried out your code. Thank you for the help and
encouragement.