[Cuis-dev] BMP Reader broken

lewis at mail.msen.com lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 16 14:22:49 PDT 2024

Hi Hilaire,

I compared the behavior in Squeak with both opensmalltalk-vm and with V3
interpreter VM.

In Squeak:
ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: 'splash.bmp'. "==> Form(400x300x32)"

In Cuis (with the same VM):
ImageReadWriter formFromFileEntry: 'splash.bmp' asFileEntry. "==> Error"

I see two possible issues here.
1) The call to #primitiveRead24BmpLine is failing in both Squeak and
Cuis. This may be a problem in the VM plugin (or maybe it is expected in
this case, I am not sure).

2) In the primitive fallback code in method
#read24BmpLine:into:startingAt:width: the error happens at the "formBits
at: (bitsIndex := bitsIndex+1) put: rgb". The formBits is a BitMap, so
maybe the some difference between Squeak and Cuis here.

I also tried Squeak with a V3 image and interpreter VM, and the results
are the same as with opensmalltalk-vm. The form is created successfully,
and the #primitiveRead24BmpLine call fails and goes to the fallback
code.

At this point I cannot say if there primitive failure is a problem in
the VM plugin, or if the primitive failure is normal and expected for
this particular case. But I can say that the actual Error in Cuis must
be something related to the fallback code when it updates the formBits
BitMap.

Dave