[Cuis-dev] About complexity in the face of the user

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Mar 19 08:35:04 PDT 2024

On 2024-03-18 09:49, Douglas Brebner via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 17/03/2024 21:29, ken.dickey--- via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> There was a Scratch done some time back for the RaspBerry Pi called
>> NuScratch, so we should be able to get the Smalltalk source code:
>
> Doesn't Tim Rowledge maintain an up to date port of Scratch to current
> Squeak for the Pi?
>
> Maybe he'd be the best person to ask about it.

Yes.  I am looking at NuScratch20210213-64.image on a RasPi 5.  Tim is
the one.

The docs indicate "When an error occurs in a script, if you are not in
fill screen mode, or have turned error catching off, Squeak displays
popups instead of the block turning red".

ScratchStageMorph>>stepProcess catches errors which is checked by
BlockMorph>>updateCachedFeedbackForm but I am still reading sources and
puzzling things out.

The expectation seems to be "correct by construction", with immediate
feedback by a block turning Red and a beep, but I have yet to find a
debugger.

ScratchFrameMorph has a #UserErrorCatcher but I have yet to determine
its use.

Still exploring the code..

A small DrGeo construction language with a simple evaluator could be
presented with blocks or a simplified Smalltalk subset debugger.

The question for us is, what is the pattern of DrGeo scripting and what
breakage do we have to deal with.

Some exploration and prototyping required.  Hey Cuis is great for this!
:)
-KenD