[Cuis-dev] About complexity in the face of the user

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Tue Mar 19 14:32:40 PDT 2024

Le 17/03/2024 à 22:22, ken.dickey at whidbey.com a écrit :
> My thought was to look at blocks languages
> (Scratch/BYOB/GPBlocks/Blocky/..) and make a small blocks language
> based on DrGeo construction semantics (objects, operations,
> composition/extension).

Yes, may be. What I have in mind is how you will program a given model,
not design it, but just make use of it by programming it. This will
result in using both general programming instruction and dedicated ones
to the model to interact with. The most obvious -- easy for us -- is to
use the Smalltalk language, after all this what it was designed for. Of
course you can start to parametrize the model, but this is not really
programming.

DrGeo is my test bed to explore these ideas:  the DrGeo Smalltalk sketch
editor (you see picture in my previous email), with its dedicated editor
and resulting view, then my exploring of debugging with the mini-debugger.

Then you can wonder, could you do the same with tile programming in
Cuis. Tile programming should at least give the same level of generality
you can have with Smalltalk. But of course tile programming ease the
discoverability of the programming capabilities: the user literally see
the programming instructions as tiles.

What I am really interested is how you will go beyond DrGeo, and have
programming capabilities for any kind of model written in Smalltalk,
then the user can male these models to interact with each other.

Yeah, this really sound as reinventing Etoys, but this is not what I am
interested by. My metaphor is more like a notebook where you handwrite
notes and insert model a user will have scripted (with Smalltalk or
tile), alternatively the user will retrieve programmed model  from a
library of scripts. Think about a set of elementary sketches
representing different king of interactive parallelogram. You could why
would you need script for, it could be just DrGeo sketch. Well what is
nice about script is your can learn from, and it may be easier to modify
and to extend.

I am glad you are exploring the NuScratch.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo
http://gnu.org/s/dr-geo/