[Cuis-dev] Cuis Morphic question

Fernando Gasperi Jabalera fgasperijabalera at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 06:59:27 PDT 2019

Hi Thierry,

as Hernan pointed out, it's only use is in
LayoutMorph>>#calculateMinimumExtent and it matches the comment found in
the body of the method:

*This is the number of pixels to add to internal minimum to calculate my
minimumExtent. I don't have to do anything here. This is the default for my
subclasses.*

Morphs may shrink when resized but they have a minimum extent, they won't
be displayed smaller than that minimum extent. You can think of it extent
as the minimum size they require to be displayed without loosing it's
meaningful representation. For example, if the morph represents a table
with 4 legs and if shrinked past some threshold its legs disappear it stops
representing the table it supposes to represent. The minimum extent tries
to prevent this.
Coming back to your question, an extentBorder that by default returns 0
means that the border of the morph is not part of the essence of the morph.
If a morph always requires its borders to be displayed because they are
part of what it represents then it should redefine this message with the
minimum meaningful extent of the borders.