[Cuis-dev] Creating missing messages

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Apr 28 15:51:48 PDT 2019

On 2019-04-27 13:42, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:

> It's been a while since I've used Pharo in depth, but are you perhaps
> thinking of missing classes rather than missing methods?

A quick responses to this.

Basic background:

We are continually working on shrinking the core so that it can fit in a
single person's head.

In Cuis 5.0 rev 3717
  Smalltalk allClasses size. --> 540

In Pharo 7.0.1
   Smalltalk allClasses size. --> 7851

The compliment of this is that we have packages which compose and can be
understood one at a time.  Packages which state their requirements so
that they can be "pre-flighted" so that loading a package loads all its
code support preconditions.

So a major goal is to evolve Cuis toward something easier to comprehend.

Right now we are in the flux of figuring out how to make packages and
salient programming strategies easier to find.

We want to reduce anything which does not carry its own weight.  To do
more with less.  Not to be all things to all people.

This means that one frequently wants to find and load some package to
get the "extras" one wants.

The Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis repo has a sample package tutorial.

Like many Smalltalk developers, we are all busy as heck and our
documentation is not all that it could be.

We very much welcome you to join us to make Cuis better!

If you can't find something in the core and can't find a package which
does what you want, please create a package for the benefit of all.

$0.02,
-KenD

PS: Methods "go away"!  As Cuis evolves, I sometimes need grep/search
the packages (*.pck.st) for "missing" methods to either find where a
method/class has moved to or ask that the method be replaced or made
available in a "goodies", "extras" or "compatibility" package.

Note also:
   Feature require: #'CorePackages'.
   Feature require: #'AllPackages'.