[Cuis-dev] Interesting thoughts about Color

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Apr 29 06:35:27 PDT 2019

On 2019-04-28 21:39, Phil B wrote:

>> I tend to think of immutable, functional data structures.  So I don't
>> expect 'foo darker' to return a mutable object.
>
> OK, now I understand where you're coming from.  I'd simply point out
> that in the vast majority of cases, Smalltalk code has not been nor is
> it currently immutable or functional 90+% of the time.

Your code does not use numbers?  Or #symbols?  ;^)

You want to use '0.3 asSin' rather than '0.3 sin'?  ;^)

Natural languages have irregularities and dialects which we learn.  I
find Interlingua easier to read than Esperanto, even though it is less
regular.  Perhaps it is just me.

I do change things with a long history.  But #darker I understand
immediately.

Scheme uses '!' to indicate mutators/setters. Would you propose
#at:put!: or some such?

OK, I am being a bit difficult here, but pull us along.  Change costs
something.  Perhaps some sample code would show the benefit and let me
be embarrassingly wrong here.  Hey, it would not be the first time!

Cheers,
-KenD