[Cuis-dev] Rename class not logging to user changes

Eric Brandwein brandweineric at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 09:14:57 PDT 2019

If the rename was written in the ChangeList as the sequence of adding all
methods to the new class and then removing the old class, then, if the
class to rename had more methods than when the rename was logged, those
methods would be lost. On the other hand, if there was only one entry for
the rename, all those methods would be preserved. I personally prefer the
latter, because that's what I think I'm doing when applying a class rename.
The downside of this would be that you can't choose to put some methods in
the new class and some in the old one when applying the ChangeList
partially.

About the references renaming, I would make that a single change too,
following the idea above, but separated from the class rename, in case you
want to apply the class rename and then provide a class for the old name.
The downside of this, again, would be that one can't select just some
references to be renamed.

I guess it's a matter of flexibility of automatic application in different
images versus flexibility of manual application. Maybe asking the user
which one they prefer would solve it, and maybe taking one of the
approaches as default when applying it automatically without having to ask
them would help in making image recovery a more streamlined experience.

Anyways, I'll try to implement which seems the simplest approach and then
see about the other stuff.

Cheers,
Eric