[Cuis-dev] Interesting thoughts about Color

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Fri May 3 09:31:51 PDT 2019

What Phil says below is what I felt/thought too. Smalltalk isn’t broadly a pass-by-value affair. Most things are object references. The VM+compiler makes exceptions for things like self, true, false, and small integers of course. Static arrays too, IIRC. Adding special immutable cases for every color I care about seems... too much. Image-level singletons are straight out. That’s wasted memory on my Raspberry Pi.

Mark my words: I will add a singleton called “salmon” to our giant list of singletons in this case, because #salmonIsAlsoAColor.

:D

Smalltalk is a chaotic state-process soup with some surprisingly powerful bolted-on functional aspects, mostly focused around collections... or that’s how it works in my head anyway. I could be wrong.

—C