[Cuis-dev] Is backtick being overused?

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Tue May 7 19:41:07 PDT 2019

I notice that the backtick (`) seems to now be used for nearly all of the
popup menus and was wondering if we're overusing it?  This functionality is
not free as it's memoizing whatever is inside the backticks.  For this use
case (fairly long expressions, the expression only appears in one place,
it's used infrequently, and has negligible performance/gc impact) it seems
like we're getting very little benefit.  And the downside is we're bloating
the image out a bit (those are some mighty long expressions) and probably
slowing down parsing/compiling a bit as well.[1]

The use cases I think of where using backtick (memoization) make the most
sense: lots of instances of a pseudo-literal non-immediate objects that are
sprinkled all over the image (i.e. `0 at 0` and the like) where we want
syntactic sugar to effectively get a constant/singleton and/or expensive
(some combination of long running and frequently called) computations.

[1] I've been meaning to mention I've been noticing some non-trivial
slowdowns creeping in on the parsing/compiling front but am now wondering
if maybe this is the root cause.