[Cuis-dev] README.md Documentation

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Tue May 7 22:15:38 PDT 2019

(Top post)

Ken, Dan, people of Cuis,

Sorry about the delay. I’ve flagged this thread for follow-up. If you want to pile on, please either reply directly to me or (preferably) reply to this thread.

Dan: seems easy enough to doit in a workspace and find things w/o class comments. Haven’t got the incantation in my head, but should be easy.

I guess what I’m proposing here is that we keep a list of things that either need docs written, or updated. Funny thing about ST, we don’t spend a lot of time looking at stuff we aren’t using. So I need folks to point out missing or “bogus” docs for me to find the areas that need attention. We should make a list, and keep it versioned in git; I can cross things off it and do something productive. Of course, it’s a never-ending task, because ST is this permanently moving target. So I’m not offering a permanent solution (he’ll, *I* am not permanent,) I’m more interested in figuring out what the process should be, putting in what I can this time in one good sweep, and then hoping that others will follow suit.

Ken:

So, if we used PetitParser or Ometa, it seems like we’re making a potential new user install a parser-generator just to make sense of documentation. That seems a lot to ask, from my point of view, but it seems like the heart ❤️ of your idea is solid and resolute.

My question to you is this: can you find a way to accomplish the same thing using only the built-in syntax that we get for free? Why not just represent everything with a small, clever DSL that uses existing Smalltalk syntax?

I do like your proposal, in that we should expect at minimum these particular “fields” to be filled with documentation, and your DSL seems to present a very reasonable set of expectations. That seems like a pretty basic request that ought to be addressed in every circumstance. I disagree that we need a parser-generator to do it. Cuis should be a minimal system, with a tiny but complete documentation system that’s trivial to install if you need/want docs.

;)

The matter of stuff that necessarily lives outside of the image is philosophically burdensome to me. If anything, I say let’s make a class called DocMaker and what that does is externalizations of information that’s available from within Cuis, if you’ve installed documentation.

Okay, now, everybody shoot holes in the above any way you can, let’s stress test what I’ve written hypothetically, learn what we can from the experience, and then I’ll start doing stuff.

—C [EOM]