[Cuis-dev] Missing 'Show category (C)' shortcut

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu May 9 13:33:26 PDT 2019

Eric,

On Thu, May 9, 2019, 3:12 PM Eric Brandwein via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> The 'show category (C)' method shortcut isn't working, so here's a
> ChangeSet that fixes it.
>
> Maybe we should find a way to unify options with shortcuts, so this
> doesn't happen again. Plus, making an abstraction for shortcuts would make
> it easier to change them from a Menu or a Browser. Right now, they are
> hardcoded in the methods that handle control keys. What do you think?

I was thinking along similar lines the other day: we have menus (window,
morph), keyboard shortcuts and context menus.  Right now they provide all
sorts of flexibility but are done in a fairly ad hoc ways that are a pain
to customize.

The thing is, they are all typically doing the similar kinds  things:
exposing morph or model functionality to the user.  It's just a question of
how/where.  So why not generalize it and provide a universal structure to
define these snippets of functionality?  Then you just need to map it:
'this is triggered by ctrl-d', 'this goes on the morph menu' etc.  We could
even provide a mechanism to customize or override via morph properties.
Dynamic functionality would require more thought and there may be some use
cases that might not fit into this kind of approach, but it seems like it
would work for the majority of cases.

Would something like this address what you had in mind?

> Cheers,
> Eric

Phil