[Cuis-dev] Support for TrueType fonts in Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri May 10 07:50:56 PDT 2019

Hi Folks,

Yes, this is the big surprise I promised yesterday!

Now the VectorGraphics engine can rasterize TrueType glyphs. As you
might now, the VectorGraphics (a.k.a. Morphic 3) engine is still in
unoptimized Smalltalk, and too slow to draw the Morphic world in real
time. But it can be used to rasterize TrueType glyphs that can be cached
as Forms.

Just pullAllRepos.sh (pulling just Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev is not enough).
Then start Cuis and install updates. Do World / Preferences / Load extra
fonts. Then World / Preferences / Set font..., or play with World /
Open... / Text Editor.

I'm pretty sure that Cuis is now the only dev environment with high
quality TrueType fonts without needing any support from the host
platform. Yep, we are not calling FreeTypo or any other library. All the
code is there for us to learn, play and experiment!

Enjoy!