[Cuis-dev] Summary of documentation concerns/needs/wants

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun May 12 07:46:50 PDT 2019

Casey,

Good summary about What.

Change of view.  Let me throw out some random thoughts about Why.

Usability.

Good interfaces are about [A] What is here? and [B] What can I do with
it?

We are continuously working on keeping a clean and small core to help us
understand and learn Cuis, but we frequently want something that may be
in a package (e.g. graphic or editing tools, network/Web-dev, .. or
code/use patterns).  How do we find them?

We want to help share Cuis with both Smalltalk newbies and experts.
What concept maps/guides can we build into our code which satisfy the
same goals as with Cuis in general: what practices are low-fat and carry
their own weight?   What helps explain and learn?  What is light enough
that we don't mind doing it?

What tools do we need to build to help us be successful?

My journey.  What is going on here?  How do they do that?

I tend to build things to see how they work.

Color -> Color Editor

Layouts -> LayoutMorphEditPanel, LayoutSpecEditPanel

Morphs -> Morphic-Misc1, Morph-MetaProperties

Unicode -> UniCodes

Timers -> Animator

I would like to know more about Cuis:

- UI Events (crtical, underdocumented; can we abstract behaviors?)

- Compiling and VM building/baselining/bootstrap; FFI; multi-core

- Buncha stuff

I feel that I am not just learning for me, but want to leave
tracks/comments/code which help others
learn/understand/replace-with-something-better.  What helps the Cuis
community?

So for me, the checkpoint is not "comment for each <whatever>" but "how
can I make useful comments which are not just noise, but help people
learn/understand?".  Also, what is clear and terse?  What helps make
Cuis comprehensible?

Sorry, I feel like I am starting a lecture here.  Not my intent.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, for me, it would be more
interesting to start with something like "explaining how to put windows
and controls together", then drill down to bits like Layouts, Menus,
MenuItems, Mouse events, Text, .. and make sure "those comments there"
comments make sense to someone learning/explaining the code patterns.

$0.02,

-KenD