[Cuis-dev] highlighting list items under the pointer

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri May 24 21:20:17 PDT 2019

Sorry about my confusing responses as I gave a bit of a stream of
consciousness response which intermingled a couple of thoughts:

1) That transient mouseover highlighting should look distinctly different
from more persistent highlighting (i.e. selection) and other types of
transient highlighting (i.e. keyboard focus.)  I *thought* that the
PluggableButtonMorph would be a good example but...

2) Then I noticed that mouseover highlighting in MenuMorph is different
than PluggableButtonMorph.  So here I'm really complaining about the
inconsistency in the image, not just your proposal.

Liveness in the UI on mouseover is great if it usefully conveys the
information of 'hey, you're over this element'.  But I don't think that can
effectively be done without a consistent, distinctive visual style to it.
(i.e. could you take a screenshot without the mouse pointer visible and
easily distinguish between what is selected and what is a mouseover
highlight?)  If we went with your prototype as-is, we'd have at least three
different styles to convey the same information: mouseover a button,
mouseover a listitem and mouseover a menuitem.