[Cuis-dev] Something strange going on with package dependency version numbers

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Oct 11 08:55:38 PDT 2019

On 10/10/2019 10:36 PM, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Ugh/yay! It's not a new bug...  it's a fix exposing issues from the
> old one.  I just found a package and dependent package having with a
> version issue with file timestamps from early September so the new
> code couldn't have caused that problem.  So when I'm rebuilding my
> image with the latest updates applied, any existing package dependency
> version issues that were previously being overlooked (and therefore I
> wasn't aware of) are now being reported.  That's my story and I'm
> sticking to it (for now... ;-)

I have seen other cases where it seems that some prerequisite is
required with a revision number higher than what has actually been
saved. The only way I found for this to happen is:

- Assume we have package A that requires package B. Both are loaded,
with correctly declared version and requirement.
- You modify some code in package B. B is marked dirty, and the revision
number is bumped by one. You don't save B.
- Use 'Installed Packages' tool. You select package A. On the
requirements list (at the bottom) you select package B and click on
[update] (bottom right button).
- The requirement of B in A is updated to the unsaved B revision number.
- Save A
- Exit without saving B

Next time, you try to load A, and it can't find the required version of B.

The attach forbids updating requirement of B if B is dirty (unsaved).
Please take a look and see if it makes sense to you.

I also added, in case of failure, the description of the package with
the unfulfilled requirement, and the package the user actually was
trying to install.

HTH.