[Cuis-dev] Something strange going on with package dependency version numbers

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Oct 12 07:31:49 PDT 2019

On 10/11/2019 9:51 PM, Phil B wrote:
> I should probably expand on a common use case that resulted in these
> kinds of problems in case it spurs any ideas:
>
> Let's say I'm working in 3904 and doing all sorts of reorganizing
> (moving classes between packages, add a new package here, remove a
> package there) and then 3911 comes out.  Rather than updating my
> 'loaded' 3904 image to 3911 I will:
>
> 1) save (most of) my changed packages from the 3904 image
> 2) update a vanilla 3904 image to 3911
> 3) try reloading all my packages into the vanilla 3911 image

This is a very reasonable use case (it is exactly what I also do) and
we'd make it work well!

> Many times something will fail so then I'll:

> save packages as needed to clean things up.
>
> That often results in a hodge-podge of 'commit this package, discard
> that one' etc. in the 3904 image which I don't care about since I'm
> going to trash it once 3911 is built anyway.  But obviously, over time
> some version mismatches have leaked out in my requirements and since
> version checking was broken I found out about them all of them at once.
>
> One thing that might be interesting is if we had a dependency
> validation tool that could be used on one or more packages.  Then you
> could verify from a requirements standpoint that the dependency graph
> was valid before even trying to reload an image.

Well, the cheap and dirty solution (I use a lot) is in 3911, just open a
file list, point to the .pck.st files one by one, and edit it right
there and save...

Of course, I'm all for improving our tools too!