[Cuis-dev] On the changes to detect method returns in exception handlers

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Oct 14 04:18:48 PDT 2019

Hi Folks,

As you have already seen in a separate thread, yesterday I pushed
changes to Exceptions. While the changes are valuable, especially in the
discussion they have triggered, and in showing an opportunity to improve
non-trivial parts of the system, I pushed them without required previous
discussion, and a better analysis of the immediate negative consequences
in code breakage. I made this mistake all by myself, in a rush to try to
get the code out even if I didn't have the time to do it in a better
way. I apologize for this.

I also want to thank you all, especially Hernán, Phil, and Andrés, for
the constructive attitude in which you engaged in the relevant
discussion on how to better deal with the issue, instead of focusing on
the annoyance, I'm sure we'll be able to improve the system after this
discussion.

To avoid code breakage while we work out what we collectively want to do
with the method-returns-in-exception-handlers issue, I just pushed
update #3923 that allows them again, and just logs a note to the
Transcript. I did this instead of taking back all the changes because
they are not trivial, and they will be useful for trying different
approaches.