[Cuis-dev] [Integrated] Re: #forceChangesToDisk

Andres Valloud ten at smallinteger.com
Mon Sep 16 16:24:14 PDT 2019

Phil,

Note well: I didn't question the code.

On 9/16/19 13:06, Phil B wrote:
> Andres,
>
> I disagree with your assertion: journaling is a major (dominant?)
> contributing factor to applications no longer needing to be so paranoid
> about data getting written.  Your scenarios are valid (I run into all of
> them regularly)

That's the point, really: journaling won't save you (because as you say,
the scenarios are valid and you experience them regularly), so let's not
use journaling to justify changes to 'forceChangesToDisk' methods.

Nothing's stopping anyone from running Cuis on a FAT formatted USB
drive, i.e. without journaling (that I know of).  If just flushing is
supported by journaling, does the absence of journaling invalidate the
argument?  I don't think so --- then let's not mention journaling :).

Andres.