[Cuis-dev] No regex in parser

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Wed Sep 25 12:09:25 PDT 2019

Hi Mariano,

I’m familiar with PetitParser, OMeta/Ohm as well.

What I’m after is more like, “has anyone studied ad-hoc parsers in depth?”

I have a sneaking suspicion that when the grammar is sufficiently trivial, an ad-hoc parser ends up being the smaller, simpler code base versus a Chomskyan setup with a parser generator. But, how do I confirm that this gut-feeling is correct?

I can point at anecdotal evidence. Smalltalks, Lisps, and Forths don’t seem to need the — heh — Chomskyan overhead. Again, the grammars are relatively simple, and that’s probably the “why.” But I’m looking for a formal inquiry into the “how.”

Maybe there isn’t one and I have to do it myself. Cuis would be a great subject, but I’m lazy and not at a college, so I look for research papers. What I’m hoping I can find is research into ad-hoc parsers (with a focus on the scanners they employ.)

Anyway I think I’ve burned enough bandwidth on something only tangentially relevant to the list, so I’ll bow out now.

Thanks for indulging me, people of Cuis :)

—Casey