[Cuis-dev] Cuis headless

Erik Stel erik.stel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:55:23 PDT 2020

Hi,

Big kudos to the Cuis community! Up to now I have been a very passive participant (ie reader), but I really like the helpful atmosphere and good discussions.
I’ve been I’ve been using Cuis next to some other Smalltalk dialects and I really appreciate the philosophy. I am building a learning environment for kids and want to use Cuis for this because of this philosophy.

I have a question regarding headless Cuis:
Is there a working/standard approach for creating a headless image for Cuis? I would like to run images on a server and therefore do not need the whole GUI part for those images. Removing it from an image is one option, but maybe there is a sort of bootstrap process to create an initial headless image as well.

There has been a thread (back in 2016) about a REPL-mechanism using stdio which could be helpful for removing the GUI/head. It did not seem to have lead to a headless image. I have a WebSocket-based REPL and did a short experiment, but before continuing this road I want to check there isn’t a better solution already available.

Any pointers are welcome.

Regards,
Erik